Monday, May 04, 2009

Birthday, Baseball, and Betting

We packed a lot into this past weekend, and I'm feeling it today.

The game was fun. Yeah, we had rain and the temperature dropped 20 degrees while we were there. And yeah, the Pirates' offense was horrible and they lost 4-0. But it's a baseball game, in Pittsburgh, with all-you-can-eat food! What's not fun about that?!















Here is Bobby coming back from one of his trips to the concession stand.















Together we consumed 2 hamburgers, 1 hot dog, 2 orders of nachos, 4 beverages, 2 bags of peanuts, and 1 ice cream sandwich. I think we calculated that all of that food would have been about $60, so we were really satisfied with ourselves, getting our money's worth.

And Phil Keoghan was there to throw out the first pitch. I guess he's on some sort of cross-country bike tour. Why would anyone do that??















Here I am at the end of the game... freezing and soaked, but still smiling!
















The most ironic part of the night was that they gave out free umbrellas to everyone upon entrance into the stadium, but then when it started raining, we were told that we weren't allowed to use them. I understand the logic of not being able to use them - blocking views, poking people in the leg, arm or eye, etc - but then why give them to us!?!? Security finally gave in sometime in the 8th inning when it was pouring down sheets of rain and only 10% of occupancy in the stands. Gee, thanks.

Saturday was a day trip to Morgantown. Bobby worked at the university and I attempted to do some shopping while I waited. Boy I missed Walmart during my recovery. I also got to go on a little shopping spree at Old Navy thanks to my mom. I got this cute little dress, along with one of these little sweater shrugs. I know the website only shows pink, but the store had about 12 colors. I got black, but I wish I could have gotten one of each! I also got a pair of capris, a tank top, another cotton sundress, and this cute shirt in orange, even though I really wanted it in pink. I had hoped we could stay and eat dinner at our favorite restaurant, Cheddar's, but I was way too worn out and needed to go home and lay down.

After my siesta, we watched the Kentucky Derby. During the pre-race coverage, they told us the range of prices for the horses. One of them was purchased for $3.7 million! But then at the bottom of the list was one for $9,500. Big difference, huh? I was so amazed by this, I kept saying, I really want that horse to win. And, If I was betting, I'd bet on that horse. (the cheap one of course.) And guess which horse won?? Yep, the cheap one, at 50-1 odds. Ugh, I was mad. I mean, yay, I was so happy for him! After that, we finally watched Slumdog Millionaire. Wow, what a great movie! Bobby kept pacing because he said it was too tense. I just loved those little kids, they were so adorable.

Sunday was another very full day. We drove to Fairmont, WV because Bobby was asked to fill their pulpit and preach for them. (Their pastor just left recently. Or was let go, can't remember.) It was a nice service and they invited us to stay afterward and eat dinner with them. We declared that we could only stay as long as it took us to eat, b/c we needed to get going so we could get home, relax for a really short time, then run back out for youth group. Well, we ended up chatting and I think we were pretty much the last ones to leave. Oh well. It was a good time of fellowship. And food.

Then we were all surprised at youth group because one the girls brought the most wonderful treats for Bobby's birthday... a fiesta-themed cake and tacos (and all the fixings, even guacamole!!) So perfect for Bobby, and for almost being cinco de mayo. We were floored. Here is the awesome cake.

1 comment:

Lianna Knight said...

I LOVE the dress you got from Old Navy...too cute!