Taken from Cleveland.com (boo!)
The big game is Sunday: Super Bowl XLIII pits the Arizona Cardinals against the Pittsburgh Steelers in Tampa, Fla. While you’re munching on snacks and enjoying the zany $3 million-per-30-seconds commercials, consider the following facts and trivial items:
1. An unofficial survey estimates 1.4 million people call off sick the day after the game.
2. Antacid sales go up 20 percent the day after the game.3. The second highest number of credentials to cover a Super Bowl were issued — 4,589 — from a record 633 media organizations.
4. Of the 13 most-watched TV programs, 12 are Super Bowls. (The lone exception at No. 1 is the final episode of M*A*S*H in 1983).
5. Tickets are $1,000, $800 and $500.
6. President Obama reportedly will cheer for the Steelers.
7. The game will be broadcast in 30 languages to 220 countries.
8. Members of the winning team each receive $78,000. The other team’s players take home a paltry $40,000 for a day’s work.
9. The winning team is awarded the Vince Lombardi Trophy. The sterling silver trophy is created by Tiffany & Co. and is valued at more than $25,000.
10. Sales of big-screen TVs go up a reported 500 percent during Super Bowl week.
SOURCES: Associated Press, New York Times News Service, Nielsen, Newsday, Doubleday, St. Petersburg Times