Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Epiphany

One thing I have enjoyed greatly about being involved in church administration is learning more about the liturgical calendar. I don't know why I am so fascinated with it frankly, perhaps because it is still so new to me. (liturgical holidays just simply are not celebrated in my former church. and by "former church" I do not mean kirk of the hills; I am talking about my "before-bobby" church.) So anyway... today, January 6th, is Epiphany. Maybe many of you have heard of it, but not sure what it is (like me). In general, the theme of it is Jesus' manifestation of Himself as God. We in the western church celebrate the arrival of the wise men to visit Jesus (Matthew 2:1-8). (so for us that means the 3 wise men get to join the nativity scene on our mantle. prior to today they were over on the computer desk - approximately two years away.) So gather round and let us all sing, "We Three Kings." Or as I just found on You Tube, play it on Guitar Hero. What on earth?!?! (seriously, click on the link, this is crazy.) Well, I guess I will end this post now that I have just ruined the sanctity of the holiday...

No comments: